Sunday 2 July 2023

A Solo Lap of Australia

Sunday 2nd July 2023

Almost ready to go


After several months of preparation, tomorrow sees the start of a new Adventure.    I will be setting off in Clementine, my 1970 VW Fastback, to attempt a Solo Lap of Australia, a trip of some 15,000 kms (depending on how many times I get lost !!)   Between us we share a total of 128 birthdays, so it will be interesting to see which one of us holds up the best !


I shall be heading north from the Gold Coast through Emerald and on to Charters Towers, after which I shall head west through Mt Isa until I hit the Stuart Highway, at which point I will turn north towards Darwin.  

Mending broken light
Preparation has been fun, especially the last few days when, in no particular order, we found a leaking oil seal on a drive shaft (fixed this week with the help of my good friend and mechanical guru Steve) and then yesterday as I was washing the car prior to having all the Charity stickers affixed, a plastic side light lens shattered in my hands - It seems 53 years of Australian sun had finally taken their toll !  After crawling around on the floor looking for all the small pieces, I was finally able to araldite it back together, and hopefully it will last the trip.  I can get replacements from California - But not before I leave tomorrow morning !!

Anyway, everything is now packed, and all I have to do in the morning is hook up the trailer and head north..........

The tent erected on trailer

It is coincidental that Clementine was built in Clayton, Victoria (a suburb of Melbourne) in 1970.  VW used to ship all the parts in and assemble their cars here - for tax purposes.  Now, in 1970, where was I ? Yup, living in Melbourne !  I arrived in Australia at the beginning of 1969 and spent most of the next 2 years in Melbourne - So both of us actually came from overseas, and both of us started our Australian lives in Melbourne !  I may have actually passed her on the road !


And before I go any further, if you are wondering how she got a name like Clementine, I can assure you that she is NOT named after Sir Winston Churchill's wife.   Clementine is actually an official VW paint colour, Code L20D, and when your car is coloured clementine,  then one has no further say in the naming rights !! 

More later.....

A few other photos can be found here.    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZP5uMDBzDLUibeTz5

No comments:

Post a Comment